Lost Passport Abroad Help

Posted in General on 20 January 2018

(Almost) Everything You Need to Know if You Have Lost Your Passport AbroadThere are fewer things that fill you with more fear than reaching inside your handbag or pocket and realising that a valuable is missing, like a mobile phone, keys or even worse… your passport! You can be left feeling distraught and isolated, but don’t panic…

January 2018

InsuraTrip News Feed

 I Lost My Passport Abroad


1. If your passport was lost or stolen, report the incident to local police

Go to the nearest police station and report your missing passport. You should be provided with a Crime Reference Number – make sure you keep a record of this number, as you will need it when applying for your Emergency Travel Documents.


2. If you have access to the internet, apply for an Emergency Travel Document, also known as an ‘Emergency Passport’ online. If you apply correctly, you may be ready to travel within 2 working days.

If you meet the following criteria (correct at time of publication), you can apply for Emergency Travel Documents:

  • you’re a British national
  • you’re outside the UK
  • your passport has been lost, stolen, damaged, is full, has recently expired or is with HM Passport Office or a foreign embassy
  • you don’t have time to renew or replace your passportbefore you travel
  • you can provide proof of your travel plans, for example booking confirmations (or detailed written travel plans if you can’t book ahead

You will possibly be asked to visit your nearest British embassy, high commission or consulate for an appointment in regard to your application.

You can apply for your Emergency Travel Document here: https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document


3. If you do not have access to the internet, you will need to head over to the closest British embassy and request a LSO1 form to manually fill out.

To make everything as quick to deal with as possible, make sure you:

  • Take Identification like a driver’s licence with you, if you have it.


IMPORTANT: British Residents are required to pay a non-refundable fee of £100 for Emergency Travel Documents (aka the ‘Emergency Passport’). These documents will get you home, but do not act as new, permanent Passport. If you have Travel Insurance, check to see if this covers Lost Passport. Keep your travel and any other costs incurred in getting your replacement passport reasonable and make sure you keep all receipts incurred.


4. Once you’re home, get a new passport.

 Your Emergency Travel Documents were only temporary, so even if your old passport is discovered underneath your flip flops in your suitcase, it will have been cancelled and you will now be required to replace it for future travel.

British residents can apply for new passports online, ready within six weeks, here: https://www.gov.uk/apply-renew-passport

If you require a new passport quickly, Premium and Fast Track services are also available, here: https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently


Travel Tip: To help in the future if this should every happen to you or your family you may want to take a photocopy of your passport with you, leave a copy with friends or family at home, or maybe even email a photo of your passport ID page to yourself so you have a copy online!


InsuraTrip Customers

Are you an InsuraTrip customer? If so, depending on the level of cover that you took out with your policy, you will be covered subject to policy terms up to anywhere between £100-£400 for Loss of Passport & Travel Documents.

To check cover, terms, conditions and how to make a claim, please refer to your Policy Wording.

If you do not have your Policy Wording you can download one by clicking here.


Written by Evie

InsuraTrip News Feed

Other Related News Articles...

- Money Saving Tips for Your Wedding Day

- 4 European City Break Ideas for You to Consider This Autumn

- How to keep your house cool this summer