Unoccupied Home Insurance

Get great value for money Unoccupied Home Insurance today with InsuraHome!

Quote Policy Wording
Feefo logo

Why Choose Able2Travel?

  • Specialists in travel insurance for people with existing medical conditions
  • Full Cover available for 1,000s of conditions
  • Instant cover by telephone or quick and easy online screening in a few minutes
  • Great value cover also available for you and everyone travelling with you

Unoccupied Home Insurance

Unoccupied Home Insurance

Have you recently inherited an unoccupied house, or maybe have moved but have not yet sold your previous home? Under these situations, you have probably realised the cover from most standard home insurance policies is not sufficient.

IThis is because standard household policies will not provide cover for your property if it is unoccupied for 30 consecutive days or more. However, things become more difficult as there is limited availability of home insurance for unoccupied properties on the market.

Here at InsuraHome, we can help you with our specialist Unoccupied Property Insurance policies to insure a house that will be left unoccupied for an extended period of time. Our Unoccupied Home Insurance policies take on a tailor-made case-by-case approach to provide your unoccupied house with the protection it requires.

Unoccupied Home Insurance has is available for both buildings and contents, with legal expenses cover being available as an optional extra. With our case-by-case based approach, you can be sure you will be able to buy an Unoccupied House insurance policy that meets your needs and protect your property.

InsuraHome Unoccupied Home Insurance is Available for:

  • Cover for Buildings & Contents.
  • Unoccupied residential properties that are intended to be kept and occupied, to be let or to be sold and more.
  • Properties that have already been unoccupied for a number of years.
  • Policy applicable to properties situated in England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, The Isle of Man and The Channel Islands.

It’s quick and easy to get a home insurance quote for unoccupied property.

Click Here to Request a Quote >>>

Or speak to An InsuraHome Unoccupied House Insurance Specialist by calling +44 (0) 1483 806 815

Looking for a more specific home insurance policy?

Click Here for Empty Property Insurance

Cover for A Number of Perils is included as standard on InsuraHome Unoccupied Home Insurance policies, such as damage caused by:

  • Fire, lightning, explosion or earthquake.
  • Storm, flood or weight of snow.
  • Collision by any vehicle or animal.
  • Theft or attempted theft.
  • Falling trees, telegraph poles or lamp-posts.
  • Escape of water from frost or frost damage to fixed water tanks, apparatus and pipes.
  • And more!

To view the full list of cover available, please refer to the Policy Wording.

Unoccupied Home Insurance – FAQs

Can you get insurance for an Unoccupied home?

The simple answer is yes you can get a policy insuring your unoccupied house. Unoccupied home insurance covers you when your house or other residential property is unoccupied for longer than your standard home insurance policy will allow.

Our InsuraHome Unoccupied Home Insurance can provide cover for properties that have been unoccupied for periods of 90, 180, 270 days. Annual cover is also available should you need it.

What does unoccupied mean for home insurance?

YYou may be wondering – how long can the property be left unoccupied so that It’s still covered? In terms of standard normal home insurance, an unoccupied home is usually one that has been left uninhabited for more than 30 days (although it may be longer depending on the policy).

Most standard home insurance policies will not cover your property if it is left unoccupied for longer than 30-60 days. This is because of the increased risk of perils such as theft, vandalism, or a burst pipe being undiscovered leading to more substantial damage. Therefore, there are specialised non-standard unoccupied home insurance policies available on the market designed to cover these risks and circumstances.

How much does Unoccupied home Insurance cost?

The cost of an unoccupied home insurance policy will vary depending on many factors such as the value of the property, condition of the property as well as the location and security of the property, for example, the property is in an area with a high crime rate, then the price of cover is likely to increase. In general, unoccupied home insurance will cost more than a standard home insurance policy in terms cost per day of cover due to the additional risks associated with an unoccupied home.

How do I prepare my Unoccupied home for winter?

Many homeowners forget the obligations they have for looking after their unoccupied properties during the cold, wet and windy winter period. Unfortunately, things could potentially go wrong with your property, and may cause you to have to pay for unsuspected costs. For example, burst frozen pipes, flooding, loss of heating, a leaky roof, and other unforeseen surprises.

Click here to check out InsuraHome’s 5 easy ways to prepare your property for winter hazards.

Contact us InsuraHome Unoccupied Home Insurance

If you wish to speak to one of our InsuraHome Unoccupied Home Insurance specialists:
Call: +44 (0) 1483 806 815
(Open 9.00am-5.30pm, Monday-Friday, excluding English Public Holidays).

For Claims information, please click here

How do I get an InsuraHome Unoccupied House Insurance Insurance Quote?

At InsuraHome we like to provide you with first class customer service to ensure you are getting the protection you require.

To get an InsuraHome Landlord Insurance quote click the ‘request a quote’ button and complete the online form. Alternatively download and complete an application form located on the ‘Policy Documents’ page and email it to

Click Here to Request a Quote >>>

If you'd prefer to speak to someone, do not hesitate to call our Unoccupied Home Insurance specialists on +44 (0) 1483 806 815 and we will be happy to provide you with a quote over the phone.

Why Choose InsuraHome Insurance

InsuraHome features a range of great benefits as standard. InsuraHome also features some great add-ons for you to tailor your policy and so you only pay for the additional cover you need.

  • Loss or Damage caused by Fire, Smoke, Explosion, Lightning or Earthquake
  • Loss or Damage caused by Storm, Hail or Weight of Snow
  • Loss or Damage caused by Flood
  • Loss or Damage caused by the escape of water
  • Cover for Theft or Attempted Theft
  • Facility to transfer any no claims history from a previous insurer
  • A choice of policy excess – £100, £250, £500 or £1,000
  • Covers the cost of alternative accommodation if your property is left uninhabitable due to an insured event
  • Cover in case of Subsidence, Heave or Landslip is available
  • Accidental Damage cover is available
  • Online Policy Documentation
  • We don't store credit card details
  • + Lots more
More InsuraHome Details

Here at InsuraHome, we aim to provide cover when other Home Insurers say no!

What's more, we can provide Home Insurance for Home's that do not fall into the criteria to be termed a 'Standard Household'. So whether it's a Holiday Home in Europe, a property that has a non-standard construction type, or you have challenging personal circumstances, we can offer policies to you.

We review each and every application on a personal, case by case basis, customising your specialist Home Insurance to meet your individual needs! Our highly trained Home Insurance specialists will provide you with a fast, friendly, and professional service at competitive pricing.

Please Note - When purchasing Home Insurance you will be required to provide the rebuild cost of your home to the insurers. If you are unsure of your rebuild cost, please either request a rebuild cost assessment from a chartered surveyor or use the Rebuild Cost Calculator below

Rebuild Cost Calculator

House Rebuild Costs

When taking out Home Insurance, you are insuring your house for the cost of rebuilding it to the same standard as it is now, you are not insuring it for its value on the open market. When quoting you for a Home Insurance policy we will ask you for the rebuild cost of your home.

If you are not sure how much it would cost to rebuild your home then you can either have a rebuild cost assessment carried out by a Chartered Surveyor (which some insurers prefer) or you can use the house rebuild cost calculator below.

Rebuild Cost Calculator