Home Insurance Checklist & Advice
InsuraHome's Home Insurance Checklist & AdviceWhether this is your first time buying Home Insurance or you've recently moved home, make sure to bear these things in mind when getting Home Insurance.
- When purchasing Home Insurance you will be required to provide the rebuild costs of your home. This is likely to be different to the 'value' of your home as the rebuild cost is how much it would cost to rebuild your home to its current standard.
- If you do not know the rebuild cost of your home then you can use the Rebuild Cost Calculator Here.
Buildings and/or Contents Insurance
- Often, a condition of you getting a mortgage will be getting suitable Buildings Insurance as it is there to protect your home should it be damaged due to a storm or fire for example.
- Before taking out Contents Insurance, you will need to estimate the amount your contents is worth. The best way to do this is by doing a room by room inventory and adding up the total value.
- Make sure you do not undervalue your contents as if you need to rely on your Contents Insurance to replace your belongings, you don't want to be left out of pocket.
- If your are planning on renting out your property, it is best that you obtain specialist Landlord's Insurance.
- Specialist Landlord's Insurance will provide you with extra levels of protection that is not available on standard Home Insurance policies. This includes protection for Loss of Rent, or even Liability Protection in case your tenants injure themselves and you are found legally liable.
You will be required to provide your house rebuild cost when purchasing Home Insurance. Feel free to use the house rebuild cost calculator below:
House Rebuild Costs
When taking out Home Insurance, you are insuring your house for the cost of rebuilding it to the same standard as it is now, you are not insuring it for its value on the open market. When quoting you for a Home Insurance policy we will ask you for the rebuild cost of your home.
If you are not sure how much it would cost to rebuild your home then you can either have a rebuild cost assessment carried out by a Chartered Surveyor (which some insurers prefer) or you can use the house rebuild cost calculator below.